Monday, November 17, 2014

mental health is the new black.

having grown up in a loving (albeit sheltered) household, my parents were able to teach my brothers and i good and evil. however, we were not socially exposed to how adults could potentially behave.

since college, my career has been within human resources. so trust me, i consider myself now-exposed to other people's problems. it's taught me to learn more about myself and i've gotten over the stigma that i once attached to 'seeing someone' (read mental health provider.)

during one of my appointments, i interrupted my own monologue with a 'how long have we been seeing each other?' when the response was '7 years', i nearly fell off the pleather couch. this relationship has afforded a safe place for me to live through breakups, horrible bosses, and the loss of my irreplaceable mom.

as we all see/read incomprehensible news headlines, i immediately realize that the onus is on ourselves to manage mental health (and for our dependents.) nobody is ever going to make you happy, only you will make yourself happy.

like, i want my first straight jacket to be prada.




No comments:

Post a Comment